Wednesday, November 01, 2006

XX vs XY

I don't like to mention my sex much. Yes, I'm a girl.
But you'll never here me refer to myself as a GIRL gamer. Just gamer.

But I must admit that there is a divide between the sexes that crosses over from RL to the gaming world. Why men automatically think they're going to be better than a girl at a video game is something I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Okay, I'll allow debates about physical differences between the male and female body type. But seriously, a video game is just about controlling your VR avatar with a keyboard and mouse. And I don't know about you, but I've wooped some dudes in thumb wars. LOL.

But I shit you not, men get so frustrated when a "girl" kicks their ass in an FPS. Also, I find that they tend to target me first either thinking I'll be easier or out of frustration. I DON'T KNOW. but sometimes, being a gamer, it sucks having the extra X chromo instead of the Y.

I'm going to this huge LAN party this weekend. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm also nervous about diving into a sausage fest. I imagine the place will be disgusting by Saturday night. Also nervous about how people will recieve me. I hope they shrug me off. I'm very used to hanging out with men, but men are NOT used to hanging with me.

They see a girl in the room and they are like, "AH man, who brought the girl?? Man, now we can't cuss and be crude, fart, burp, and do MAN-things!"

lol. I get where they are coming from. I do. And usually once guys hang out with me for awhile, they drop the polite act and start being themselves. And that's when it's more fun.

Do you think I should disguise myself for the LAN party? Put my hair in a beanie cap, wear baggy sweaters and sweat pants? And greet everybody with a hefty "SUP, MAN!"

heheh.

XY XX XY XX

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a guy I'll say be who you are, not every guy out there is like you portray, nor is every guy out there afraid of playing with gals...at least I'm not.

~jason

Matt Tan said...

Definitely wear a beanie / cap and a Jersey if you can manage it and add in the head-nod when you greet nonchalantly with "Sup dude/due/cuz/bro/bra"

It would be fucking hilarious. Girls can have so much fun sometimes.

Alachia said...

"suuuup cuz!"

lol. i think i can pull it off. :D

yeah. i know not all guys are like what i portray. i know this because all of my friends are guys. :D
and all of my friend respect me for who i am... and they don't get pissed cuz a girl beats them. they get pissed when anyone beats them. lol.

sometimes i often wish i was a boy.
but alas...i am not.

Maclort said...

Ooh what are youse gonna be gamin at it?
I keep tryin to get a lan party where i live but honestly, apparently there aren't that many geeks at university.
I used to go to ones with counter-strike and all the other counter-strike related maps. Was so much fun.

Enjoy it! Or... is it over yet...hmm.
The time difference always confuses me :S

Anonymous said...

I know that girls realy are better at FPS. Hand-Eye-Coordination is somehow better. I always lose when playing against a girl *hehe* and I admit: "I have no probs with it". NO competition, just having fun playing games. :)

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

WOWCAST BLOG