Monday, May 28, 2007

Firefly


This weekend was going to be WoWfest weekend but instead I took a much needed break from the game. Loot drama, character drama, and group drama are things you gotta just step away from every now and then.

Instead, I watched all of the Firefly series and Serenity the movie again. One of the best sci-fi series out there IMO. Ashame it only lasted one season. How Fox can have kept 'So You Think You can Dance' on the air for multiple season but couldn't see out Firefly for more than one...boggles meh mind.

Of course I love the sense of humor of the show, but what I really appreciate is their portrayal of "future sci-fi". It's quite unique. It's not all tech and glamor.. you've got your central planets which are a huge gigantic melting pot of multiple cultures with high tech as well as overcrowded streets.

The use of cross-language cussing was a great detail to add to the effect that new worlds inhabited by the overpopulation of earth...the stripping of our ties to nations and cultures...would blend in new environments. But then they show the border planets which are not developed and look more like early settlements of the midwest where food supply equals wealth.

It's a surreal mixture of super sci-fi high-tech with the raw human survival ruggedness of a western. I always found it intriguing that you could have these earth like worlds formed by the science of mankind, space ships, digital high tech displays but then in one second, a single strawberry can seem like a total treasure and a wonder.

9 comments:

Maclort said...

I enjoyed the series too but never watched them all. Probably a good thing, so I have more good shows still to watch.
I have watched the movie quite a few times though.

I can't get enough out of storylines like that... the 'make you think' films are the best imo.

... even if it makes you think about things in the future that probably will never happen... but still.

Unknown said...

Can't stop agreeing with you. This series is awesome and it gives me a great philosophy to live by. "If you can't run, crawl, if you can't do that...find someone to carry you."

I love that idea, just keep going, no matter what. I see it repeated in books and movies, not put so directly but the idea is always there, and its life afirming.

Britnay said...

Everyone should watch the firefly series and then the Serenity movie. If you like it, you should also try the anime series Cowboy Beebop. It also has really interesting characters living on the gritty side of an interplanetary soceity. I love them both, and each has very different styles.

Mark Means said...

I totally agree! I loved this series. The movie, though, just seemed like an extended episode to me...not that it was bad mind you...but I think they could have done more with it.

Fox's programming minds always baffle me. They'll totally get behind shows like "Are You Smarter Then a 5th Grader?" and "For Life" but show no support for anything original, like "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr."

Unknown said...

This series ranks very highly on my list of favs amungst other gems cut short in their prime, such as Space above and Beyond.

Joss Whedon is a god

J. C. KnitNStuff said...

So that's how you finished knitting your first scarf. I loved the movie but haven't seen the series yet. On your suggestion, I'm gonna have to buy the series this week and have my own marathon. Slight guild drama over here so a movie/tv marathon is in order especially since I have a heel to turn.

Knit On!!!!!

Alachia said...

hehehhe yup. I have Space Above and Beyond too. At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like it but I took to it pretty fast for some reason. I'm only on disk 3 of the entire series so far.

Alan / Falcon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alan / Falcon said...

Yes, Firefly and Serenity are just completely entertaining and well made! I hate that Fox decided that they would rather make some short term gains with cheap-to-shoot reality TV shows and axe the expensive investment that was Firefly. Have you ever heard of something buying DVD Box Sets of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader"? Yeah, didn't think so. By the way, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND "The Signal", a really well produced and fun Firefly/Serenity Podcast that has been running for a couple of years now. They have a huge crew that works together to put together an impressive show that even has won some Podcast of the Year awards.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

WOWCAST BLOG