Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Life without computers


The week we spent in Boremont was same as usual. A lot of the whole family holiday shuffle and a lot of wondering around with nothing to do. I mean, there's only so many excuses you can come up with to go to Best Buy.

Thursday, we (felix, taint, sadin, and i) were so bored. We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant and talked about old cartoons. Sadin got Dungeons and Dragons (the cartoon series) for xmas. We were talking about upcoming movies this year. Transformers was definitely a big one...and that's how we got into talking about old cartoons. Some of the favorites mentioned were Transformers, He-Man, Shera, G.I. Joe, Mask, Silver Hawks, D&D, The Adventures of Johnny Quest, etc.... And I totally go stuck on one that I couldn't remember. But thanks to cool websites like http://www.80scartoons.net/, I was able to figure out it was called Jayce and the Monster Minds....

It was funny. I was like... "it had something to do with plants, just lots of plants and everything was organic....man...something to do with plant like monsters....what is it?! i know it! what is it?"

The plot goes like this: The plot concerns Jayce, son of Audric, and his quest to rejoin him. The backstory is that Audric was a botanist who did several experiments with biotechnology, one of which blossomed and became a young humanoid girl named Flora. Audric had also created a miracle crop that could thrive in any environment and end galactic hunger....---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors

Anyhow, when we got back to my parents house, we were still pretty bored. So we did what all people do when there is no computer around, the dreaded "OUTDOOR ACTIVITY"!!! lol. yeah. we tossed around a nerf football in the back yard. I actually have a pretty good arm. If i had been a guy, I would have been the QB. LOL. Anyhow, playing both the offensive and defensive team at the same time only lasts so long....After all, we're geeks. we normally only excercise our mouse hand. (save the jokes).



so we went inside and that old movie Krull was on tv so we started watching that. it's a classic fantasy movie incase you guys have never seen it. pretty kick ass for its time. Back in the 80s, a couple of really good fantasy movies came out....and then nothing again until Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy. (i'm praying for the hobbit). Anyhow, I remember totally drooling over the Glaive (weapon) when I first saw it. I even made my GM put it in the game when we were playing Earthdawn just so I could have it in some sense.

After that, we went out to eat and came back and started watching the Dungeons & Dragons cartoons. Remember Uni and Dungeon Master? LOL. It's pretty cool. The dvd came with a booklet with all the characters and their stats.

Needless to say, when we got back to Austin this weekend, we began our WoW expedition. The big push to 60 before BC. I'm playing a shadow priest. It's awesome. The power of the mage but I can also heal myself. mwhahahaha. This weekend we pushed from 36-43.5. Hopefully tonight we'll be 44.25. heh.

I'm just so glad to have my black stallion!! Mounts FTW! Now I just need to get Felix to put my spurs on.

10 comments:

Matt Tan said...

Old cartoons were great. Still, can't say I've watched any that I used to love. Too afraid. Might ruin the memories.

Still there was this one that I always remember when the topic shifts to old fantasy cartoons. "Flight of Dragons". Maybe it was good, or maybe my imagination boosted things when I was young.

Also spent family / holiday time at the (science)Museum. It was another reminder of how many RL beasts/creatures take some form in WoW.

Grats on the X-mas loot you spoilt thing you.

Anonymous said...

Those aren't old. :D

Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Popeye, Bugs Bunny. THOSE are old.

Krull kicks ass. It was such a good movie for its time. Great DVD and the soundtrack (I have the ltd. 2-CD one) is amazing.

Wingscribe said...

Actually, I was having a similar talk with a buddy of mine a week ago, and started thinking about Galaxy Rangers - my fave from my youth...

Wouldn't you know it, the thing is on Netflix, so I put the entire series in my Queue...

...yeah...it is not THAT bad, but my memories were vastly superior to what I was seeing...

Now, I am almost scared to look at Star Blazer again...

But is always fun to take a little trip down memory lane...

Anonymous said...

Sweet! The old D&D cartoon! Good ol' days...I haven't seen that show in AGES!

Glad all went well and Happy New Year!

jason

Alachia said...

dude, i have flight of dragons on dvd. i bought it off of ebay. it's a vhs rip onto a dvd. quality isn't that great but since we don't have a vcr anymore, it's better than nothing.

we used to watch that movie 10 times a week.

MORE WINE???? WINE NOT!

hahahahahha...

gorbash! lmao

i was just saying the other day how i wish peter jackson would make a live action version of the movie.

Anonymous said...

There were so many good movies back then. Krull, Battle Beyond the Stars, Lifeforce (yum), Heavy Metal (double yum).

Wingscribe said...

And who can forget...

Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone

I have to update my Nexflix now...

Anonymous said...

I saw that in the theater. To this day I still have the ticket stub and the 3D glasses they gave out.

Matt Tan said...

HAHA! It's on YouTube...

How am I ever going to get any work done today...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=84084ED5A918AD8A

Anonymous said...

I loved FLight of the Dragons, but thats basically the only one that i know of from the ones you guys mentioned.
The Cartoons i liked are still running :D
Ok thinking of the oldies... do movies count?
Got the old cartoon LOTR movie, and loved Labyrinth so much. David Bowie is kinda terrifying though, in a shiny red way.

I was a Dragonballz maniac, and was a fan of Buffy for sometime /embarassed.
Ones i would have watched...hmm,
The Poddington Peas
Snorks
Something about a Wizard school and a talking book (replaced book with hat and you got Harry Potter)

Meh im a reader. If the power goes out you'll find me crouched over my mobile phone light (thats cellular phone for you guys)trying to finish my Sci-Fi fantasy books.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2008

WOWCAST BLOG